Follow me on Twitter!

Thursday 8 April 2010

Wikipedia

Recently, I have been spending a disproportionate amount of my time at wikipedia. It's a fascinating place.

I can remember, as a small boy, my parents deciding to buy the Funk & Wagnalls encyclopaedia. It was available, one volume at a time, through various newsagencies. I seem to recall that a new volume was released once a month, but it may have been once a week. All I know is that it seemed to be an eternity between one volume and the next. Each time a new volume arrived, I would appropriate it immediately and retire to a place of seclusion. First I would check for any profanity, as any young boy would, then I would browse through the various entries that might appeal to me. I recall, for example, reading the entry on the Suez Canal and being entranced by the idea that some blokes had carved a channel through a desert in order to connect two oceans. Wonderful stuff.

There were (I think) 25 volumes and we missed the volume "M". Obviously this is the reason why I know so little about mathematics, meercats and Mexico. Wikipedia has allowed me to remedy this problem.

Wiki claims to have over 3 million English language articles now, so it may prove a more lengthy read than the Funk & Wagnalls of my youth. It does however, have the advantage of allowing me to make my own contributions. Most recently, it has allowed me to contribute "third opinions" where other folks have reached an impasse. So far, I have offered third opinions on a map of the Roman Empire that was being used in the "History of Georgia" page, the relevance of certain references in the "Types of Rape" page and an opinion on the relevance of certain categorisations on the "Omakaitse" page.

Omakaitse (as if you didn't know!) was a sort of people's militia that operated in Estonia during WWII. Fascinating.

So today's task is to identify my username in wikipedia. Good luck and let me know how you fare. Seventeen bonus points are on offer for the first correct answer.

2 comments:

  1. Out on a limb here. On the basis that there cannot be to many;

    * self described atheist's
    * who come from Sydney
    * and have edited the "History of Georgia", "Types of Rape" and "Omakaitse" pages
    * during April 2010

    Then my guess is Thepm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why do you call yourself thepm, winny?
    Your friend, T, the rock B

    ReplyDelete

Please make a comment!