Follow me on Twitter!

Sunday 17 April 2011

I have become a fan of David Cameron

In England, for reasons that I have never thoroughly understood, they get very excited about royal weddings. One of the things they do, just to demonstrate to each other how excited they actually are, is they have street parties. The street parties seem to involve a lot of cake, some really hot tea and your CD compilation of the very best of Cliff Richard.

Now my personal inclinations aside, I figure if that's what they like to do, who am I to stop them? As long as I don't have to listen to the Cliff Richard CD, then go right ahead.

Now as you might have heard (I have to admit that I had not heard until this morning) there is a royal wedding about to happen. Prince William is going to marry Kate Middleton. I had heard the name Kate Middleton bandied around before and simply assumed that she was another in a long line of pop singers. Turns out she's not. She's another in a long line of moderately attractive women that get to marry hereditary heads of state. But I digress.

The nanny state is alive and well in England and various councils have cautioned their constituents about the terrible dangers of having a street party. The dreadful perils involved no longer mean that it's only necessary to let your neighbours know that piping hot tea and a home made sponge cake will be available, it is now a requirement to obtain council permission. You'll need insurance of course and you'll need to provide a detail plan, probably an elfen safety certificate and various other documents.

In other words, you can't do it if you're just folks, you need to have a profit motive sufficiently large to put up with the red tape.

So.

David Cameron, Prime Minister of the UK, turns up at a press conference recently with a sheaf of papers. He reads one that tells us that some council has decided that you can have a street party as long as there is no music, no 'rides', no alcohol. Another council has decreed that there can be no "home made cakes" or tea - (apparently for elfen safety) and another council has told some poor nong that he needs £5 million in public liability insurance.

Cameron puts all this to one side and says "This is ridiculous. These pen pushers and busy bodies are completely wrong, they have no right to stop you from having fun and let me put it like this: I'm the prime minister and I'm telling you: If you want to have a street party you go ahead and have one."

Clearly a man that deserves to wear his underpants on the outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please make a comment!